Rachel has been practicing in state and local taxes (SALT) since 1985. She is a Certified Public Accountant and a Certified Member of the Institute (CMI) for professionals in state and local taxation. She consults with clients in a broad range of industries on state and local tax issues involving sales and use taxes, gross receipts taxes, income taxes, and other miscellaneous taxes. Rachel serves her clients by digging deep into their business from top to bottom giving them the best answers possible that fit their unique business operations.
Prior to joining Peterson Sullivan, Rachel was the partner in charge of the Seattle office of a worldwide tax consulting firm. Early in her career, she worked for over 10 years at the Washington State Department of Revenue as a legislation and policy specialist. This knowledge and experience enable her to consistently offer solutions to clients with questions on a myriad of issues. Such solutions can involve advising on tax minimization strategies when buying or selling assets, determining when a business is subject to taxation in another state, and minimizing taxes on inter-company transactions.
Rachel is a frequent speaker at national, regional, and local conferences and conventions. Topics include annual SALT updates, how to survive a tax audit, and SALT optimization strategies. Additionally, Rachel is an instructor for the Sales Tax Institute and regularly presents webinars. Having active participation in these fields allow Rachel to stay current on new tax policies at the state and local level.
Rachel thrives on the complexities of state and local tax. With 50 states and thousands of local jurisdictions, no two tax systems are alike. Rachel enjoys the intricacies of working through a tax puzzle and helping clients put together the pieces.
- Association of Washington Business – Co-Chair Tax: Fiscal Policy Council
- Moore Stephens North America State and Local Tax Community Group – Chair
- AICPA SALT Resource Panel
- City of Seattle Tax Advisory Group
- Western Washington University Accounting Advisory Board
- Local B&O Tax Apportionment Task Force Member
- Institute for Professionals in Tax
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Bachelors of Arts, Business Administration, Western Washington University
- Professional Services
- Technology & Life Sciences
- Health Care
- Auto Dealerships
- Real Estate
Controversies & Appeals
- Due Diligence Studies
- Nexus Studies
- Reverse Audits & Audit Defense
- Tax Planning & Consulting
- Voluntary Disclosures & Tax Amnesty Planning